Contact our helpline!


Tennessee Special Education Plans

Type of plans

What is it?

Who do I contact?

My Responsibilities

 Family Service Plan

Early intervention services for infants and toddlers aged birth to 3 years

  Tennessee Early Intervention System    (TEIS)

Request an evaluation as soon as possible. Participate in planning your child’s services and stay involved to ensure they’re implemented. Keep copies of all evaluations and important paperwork.

Education Plan

Education and related services for Pre- Kindergarten to 12th grade students in Special Education

   Tennessee Department of Education, Division of Special Education, also review the The Special Education Manual Last revised, 2008.

Request an evaluation if you suspect your child has a disability. Participate in eligibility and annual IEP team meetings and request a copy of the IEP.  You should receive IEP updates, or progress reports, as often as your child gets a report card.  Consult a Special Education Advocacy Group if you feel your child’s rights are being violated. Keep copies of all evaluations and important paperwork.

504 Plan

Addresses the unique educationally-relevant needs of students with disabilities who do not qualify for Special Education

Varies by school; refer to the principal or consult a Special Education Advocacy Group about who to contact.

Request an evaluation, if needed.  Participate in creating the 504 plan and request a copy. Keep copies of all evaluations and important paperwork.

Individualized Health Plan

Addresses the special health care needs of students while in school

Usually the school nurse; if your child’s school does not have a nurse, contact the school Principal and/or school staff.
Revised in January 2007, Guidelines for IHP (pdf) provides helpful information about health care plans in TN Schools.

Provide all health information relevant to your child’s performance in school. Request a copy of the IHP.

Functional Behavioral

Addresses serious student problem behavior that often precedes the writing of a Behavior Intervention Plan

School district psychologist or school social worker

IEP team determines whether or not an FBA is necessary before writing a BIP (see below); you may be asked to participate in the FBA process. Keep copies of important paperwork.

Behavior Intervention Plan

Addresses special behavioral needs of students with emotional and/or behavior concerns at school

Consult a Special Education Advocacy Group or the Tennessee Regional Resource Centers about who to contact

Request an FBA plan so a BIP can be developed. Participate in planning and stay involved.  Ask for a copy and regular updates. Keep copies of important paperwork.

Individualized Transition Plan

A statement, included in a high-school student's IEP, outlining the transition services required for coordination and delivery of services as the student nears adulthood.

Tennessee Department of Education, Division of Special Education - Secondary Transition

Transition planning should begin at age 14 years or younger depending on the severity of the child’s disability.

See Also...

Vanderbilt Kennedy Center Links

  • Volunteer Advocacy Project
    Now accepting applications for fall 2011. The Volunteer Advocacy Project trains volunteers as advocates to provide instrumental and effective support to parents of children with disabilities.
  • TRIAD School-Age Services (K-12)
    Workshops and training programs tailored to meet the needs of school systems and professional organizations.
  • Services for Educators
    Includes outreach programs for educators.
  • School-Based Consultation
    School-based consultation helps school teachers and administrators develop and evaluate programs, policies and procedures regarding the proper education of students with autism.
  • Federal Education Laws: What is IDEA?
    An explaination of the federal education laws (IDEA) for special education.
  • TRIAD Early Childhood Services (Pre-K)
    TRIAD’s EC workshops are designed to address the needs of early childhood pre-school providers who work directly with students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Printable Materials and Resources